Friday, January 29, 2010

Julia et moi


The weekend approaches, and so does significant snowfall, apparently. The prospect of being snowed in for the weekend brings eager anticipation of reading, sewing, and writing. Last night I finished My Life in France by Julia Child, with Alex Prud'homme. This is the story of Julia's years from 1948, when she and her husband, Paul, arrived in France, through 1992. Julia, with the narrative help of nephew Prud'homme, recounts treasured memories of the people, places, and foods of France she encountered in those many years. I treated myself to the newest hardback issue of Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking recently, and look forward to experimenting with French cuisine. I did make Quiche Lorraine last week, and when I checked the recipe in Mastering, I was surprised to learn that authentic Quiche Lorraine does not contain cheese. If you want cheese, then you make Quiche au Fromage de Gruyère.

My favorite quote of Julia's from My Life in France:
"I just liked eggheads, damnit!" Moi aussi, Julia!

No comments:

Post a Comment